CONTACT: Barbara Fornasiero, EAFocus Communications, 248.260.8466; email@example.com
Detroit-–-January 6, 2020-–-Raising the Bar, an educational series increasing employer awareness of current issues in employment and labor law and offered by Detroit-based Nemeth Law, P.C., returns on Thursday, January 30 with its annual labor and employment law edition. According to Nemeth Law partner Terry Bonnette, the beginning of a new year provides the perfect opportunity to help employers take stock of where employment law has been – and where it’s going.
“The past decade has been a roller coaster for employers and 2020 may bring some closure in the form of final regulations,” Bonnette said. “Three years after reversing course on proposed overtime rules, the DOL issued final rules that took effect on January 1. After nearly a decade of contradictory lower court rulings on Title VII protections for LGBTQ+ employees, the Supreme Court heard arguments in October 2019 that might finally decide the issue this spring or early summer. Meanwhile, the NLRB continues to scale back previous rulings that both unionized and non-unionized employers found burdensome. This Raising the Bar session will look at how these changes may impact employment practices this year and what employers should know to be in compliance.”
Topics that will be addressed include:
- EEOC Update – How will new enforcement guidance and trends affect workplace harassment and discrimination policies and procedures?
- Supreme Court Update – Employment cases that have been heard or that are in the pipeline that may change non-discrimination and benefits policies.
- DOL Update – What you need to know to remain compliant with the FLSA and the FMLA.
- NLRB Update – New guidance and opinions that affect the non-unionized employer.
- ADA Litigation Trends – The good news and the bad news regarding reasonable accommodation.
- Michigan Law – Minimum wage, paid sick leave, recreational marijuana one year later, and the legalization of online sports betting.
Raising the Bar will be held on Thursday, January 30 at the Management Education Center, 811 West Square Lake Road, Troy, 48098. Check-in and continental breakfast begin at 8:30 a.m. The program runs from 9 a.m. until 11:45 a.m. with one 15-minute break. The cost is $75 per person and pre-registration is requested. To register, e-mail Pamela Perkowski at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 313.567.5921.
About Nemeth Law, P.C.
Nemeth Law specializes in employment litigation, traditional labor law, workplace investigations, management consultation/training for private and public sector employers, and arbitration and mediation. It is the largest woman-owned law firm in Michigan to exclusively represent management in the prevention, resolution and litigation of labor and employment disputes.