Media Contact: Barbara Fornasiero, EAFocus Communications, 248.260.8466; email@example.com
Detroit-–-January 13, 2021-–-Raising the Bar, an educational series increasing employer awareness of current issues in employment and labor law presented by Detroit-based Nemeth Law, P.C., returns Wednesday, January 27, in a virtual format to offer its annual labor and employment law edition. According to Nemeth Law co-managing partner Terry Bonnette, employment law promises to be another moving target this year, as companies continue their struggle with the impact of a worldwide pandemic on the workforce and consider what’s in store with a new administration and a Supreme Court with a newly appointed justice.
“2020 may be over, but all of the workplace challenges it created are not,” Bonnette said. “From Covid-19 vaccine considerations and exemptions to responsibilities with sick leave for employees who have had Covid-19 and are experiencing ‘long-hauler’ effects…it is hard for employers to keep track of all the moving pieces. Add on top of that a new administration and a shift on the Supreme Court, and we’re bound to see even more changes. This Raising the Bar session, in particular, will look at how ongoing changes may impact employment practices throughout the pandemic – and what employers should do to be in compliance with fluid national and state laws governing workplaces.”
Hot topics to be addressed include:
- The EEOC’s new initiatives addressing religious freedom and religious discrimination
- Voluntary extension of Emergency FMLA and Emergency Paid Sick Leave
- Workplace vaccination requirements
- Remaining ADA compliant during and after a pandemic (medical exams, accommodation, harassment, and working from home)
- DOL’s new rule for determining if someone is an independent contractor under the FLSA
- Challenges to LGBTQ discrimination protections under both state and federal law
- Other updates from the Supreme Court, EEOC, OSHA, MERC and LARA
Raising the Bar will be held on Wednesday, January 27, as a Live Zoom event. The program will run from 9 a.m. until 12 noon with two 10-minute breaks. Registration is required to obtain the meeting link to attend. The cost is $25. To sign up, email Pamela Perkowski at firstname.lastname@example.org or call Pamela at (313) 567-5921.
About Nemeth Law, P.C.
Nemeth Law specializes in employment litigation, traditional labor law, management consultation, arbitration, mediation, and workplace investigation for private and public sector employers. It is the largest woman-owned law firm in Michigan to exclusively represent management in the prevention, resolution and litigation of labor and employment disputes.