ASE logo_cropped

Media Contacts: Barbara Fornasiero, EAFocus Communications, 248.260.8466,;
Wendy LoCicero, ASE, 248.223.8006,

Livonia, Mich. —Feb. 15, 2016 — The American Society of Employers (ASE), one of the nation’s oldest and largest employer associations, has released its 2015 Quarterly Economic & Employment Survey – Fourth Quarter results. The news is good for Michigan, with the majority of respondents seeing the state’s business climate remaining stable or improving in the next six months, with hiring following a similar trend.

Highlights of ASE 2015 Quarterly Economic & Employment Survey – Fourth Quarter:
• The percentage of Michigan employers who believe their business outlook will improve over the next six months remains in the mid-thirties, while more than half (54%) of employers see their six-month outlook as remaining stable.
• Along with this positive business outlook, 88% of Michigan employers are expecting to increase their hiring levels or keep them consistent over the next six months. Only 4% expect to freeze hiring and 8% are planning to decrease hiring.
• 2015 shows a 17% increase in violation of workplace policies as the reason for involuntary terminations from the previous year.
• Across the state of Michigan, the average annual hires increased from almost 14% in 2014 to over 20% in 2015.
• Absenteeism as a reason for involuntary separations decreased 16% from 3rd quarter 2015.
• Personal reasons and retirement as reasons for voluntary separation have both increased since 2013 by about 10%.

The survey results were announced by ASE President and CEO, Mary E. Corrado.

“Our survey findings reflect a continuing positive business climate in Michigan for the first six months of 2016 and that’s great news to report during the first quarter,” Corrado said. ““The data on hiring and terminations suggest that both employees and employers have stepped up their respective commitments to maximizing productivity and overall workforce excellence.”

Background information on the ASE 2015 Quarterly Economic & Employment Survey – Fourth Quarter
• 116 organizations from across Michigan participated.
• Organizations with one to 500 Michigan employees made up more than 80% of the survey sample, while organizations with 501 to 1,000 Michigan employees represented nearly 8% of the sample. The remaining 11.9% of the sample come from organizations with over 1,000 Michigan employees.
• A variety of industries are represented, with manufacturing organizations representing nearly 60% of the survey sample. The remaining 40% is represented by trades and services organizations.

To obtain a copy of ASE’s 2015 Quarterly Economic & Employment Survey – Fourth Quarter, contact ASE’s Compensation and Benefits Surveys department at or 248.353.4500. This survey is available free of charge to ASE members, and is $525 for non-members.

About the American Society of Employers (ASE) – a Centennial Organization
The American Society of Employers (ASE) is a not-for-profit trade association providing people-management information and services to Michigan employers. Since 1902, member organizations have relied on ASE to be their single, cost-effective source for information and support, helping to grow their bottom line by enhancing the effectiveness of their people. Learn more about ASE at