Media Contact: Barbara Fornasiero, EAFocus Communications, 248.260.8466, firstname.lastname@example.org
Detroit-–-Jan. 4, 2017–Raising the Bar, an educational series raising employer awareness of current issues in employment and labor law and offered by Detroit-based management side labor and employment law firm Nemeth Law, P.C., returns Jan. 18 to cover the topic of How Labor and Employment Law has Changed Over the Past Year and What You Need to Know to Remain Compliant in 2017.
The past year was a roller coaster ride for employers and it doesn’t look like it’s going to slow down in 2017, according to Terry Bonnette, a partner at Nemeth Law.
“In mid-2016, the Department of Labor issued new overtime regulations that would have affected 4.2 million exempt salaried employees if those regulations had not been blocked in November by a federal court order. Plus, a Presidential election always brings numerous questions about the new administration’s policies and how they will influence federal agencies, the Supreme Court and multiple areas of labor and employment law – and this election perhaps even more so,” Bonnette said.
At the Jan. 18th Raising the Bar session, Nemeth Law attorneys will discuss how these changes can affect employment practices over the coming year. Topics include:
- The impact of the new administration on employment, labor and employee benefits law: what employers should expect and what they shouldn’t
- The current status of the overtime regulations and best practices for employers
- The EEOC’s new expansive anti-retaliation guidance
- Transgender employee bathroom access: litigation trends and federal agency guidance
- Hot Button Issues – the EEOC’s new Strategic Enforcement Plan for 2017-2021
- Sexual orientation discrimination under Title VII: Are protections for LGBT expanding or contracting?
- Supreme Court, EEOC and NLRB regulatory and litigation updates
Raising the Bar will be held on Wednesday, Jan. 18, at the Management Education Center, 811 West Square Lake Road, Troy, 48098. Continental breakfast will be served at 8:30 a.m. The program begins at 9:00 a.m. and ends at 12 p.m. with one 15-minute break. The cost of the event is $75 per person and pre-registration is required. To register, e-mail Pamela Perkowski at email@example.com or call 313.567.5921.
About Nemeth Law, P.C.
Celebrating 25 years in 2017, Nemeth Law specializes in arbitration, mediation, workplace investigations, employment litigation, traditional labor law and management consultation/training for private and public sector employers. It is the largest woman-owned law firm in Michigan to exclusively represent management in the prevention, resolution and litigation of labor and employment disputes.