Media Contact: Barbara Fornasiero, EAFocus Communications, 248.260.8466, email@example.com
Detroit, Mich. – Sept. 17, 2015 –Raising the Bar, an educational series raising employer awareness of current issues in employment and labor law and offered by Detroit-based management side labor and employment law firm Nemeth Law, P.C., returns Oct. 14 to discuss best practices in adjudicating unemployment claims before the Unemployment Agency and beyond.
“Generally it is not cost effective for employers to have legal representation handle responses to unemployment claims or attend unemployment hearings, so it is important for employers to know the dos and don’ts of the unemployment process to ensure they protect themselves in the event of future litigation,” Patricia Nemeth, founder of Nemeth Law, P.C., said. “This program will discuss the nuts and bolts of defending unemployment claims and inform employers on representing their best interests in disputed unemployment claims.”
Successfully Defending Unemployment Claims will provide employers with practical tips on navigating a claim from initial response through the unemployment hearing and the administrative appeal process. Topics will include:
• Criteria for determining whether to challenge a claim
• Eligibility requirements – minimum requirements for benefits, availability for work and refusal of work
• Grounds for disqualification:
1. When is a voluntary quit not voluntary? When is an involuntary separation a voluntary quit?
2. Misconduct – how is it defined?
3. Drug tests and the new problem with medical marijuana, including evidentiary issues and how to handle them.
• Responding to a Notice of Unemployment Insurance Claim
• Appealing a Notice of Determination or Re-determination – how to request a hearing
• Hearings before an administrative law judge (ALJ); how to prepare for and present at the hearing, request an adjournment and preserve issues
• Appeals to the Michigan Compensation Appellate Commission and requests for re-hearings
• Appeals to the County Circuit Courts and to the Michigan Court of Appeals
Raising the Bar will be held on Wednesday, Oct. 14 at the Detroit Marriott Troy, 200 W. Big Beaver Rd., Troy 48084. Continental breakfast will be served at 8:30 a.m. The program begins at 9:00 a.m. and ends at 11:45 a.m. The cost of the event is $75 per person and pre-registration is required. To register, e-mail Pamela Perkowski at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 313.567.5921.
About Nemeth Law, P.C.
Nemeth Law specializes in arbitration, mediation, workplace investigations, employment litigation, traditional labor law and management consultation/training for private and public sector employers. It is the largest woman-owned law firm in Michigan to exclusively represent management in the prevention, resolution and litigation of labor and employment disputes.